First time landlords guide: Legislations & Safety Regulations

Gas Safety

A Gas Safety Record (GSR) is in place to guarantee secure operation of all gas appliances, tubes and flues. A skilled Gas Safe Register technician must perform it. This must be inspected every 12 months. By arranging this for you, Paramount Sales And Lettings removes the one stress from your life.

Electrical regulations

You must guarantee that all electrical systems are secure for use within the property. We suggest a Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) or Installation Survey so you can be sure that you are compliant.


As a landlord, you have a obligation to ensure that your water supply works correctly against Legionella.

Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)

The HHSRS, introduced as part of the Housing Act 2004, enables local authorities to evaluate the property’s situation and any future dangers. The objective is to keep excellent standards in the rented private sector. Paramount Sales And Lettings can help you understand how your property can be covered by this legislation.

Furniture and furnishing regulations

If your rented property is being furnished, you must guarantee that all furnishings comply with these regulations. And all compliant furniture must be in a prominent place with standard labels. This is to decrease the property’s fire danger.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPCs)

An Energy Performance Certificate, or brief EPC, is a document that details a property’s energy efficiency. It provides a property A (most effective) to G (least effective) power efficiency rating and is valid for 10 years. Before they let it, all landlords are needed to buy an EPC for a property. It is also a necessity that when advertising the estate, letting agents show the EPC. If a property does not have an EPC when it is sold, a fine is risked by the landlord and the agent.

We can assist you get an EPC for a tiny extra charge when you let a property through Paramount Sales And Lettings.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

With an authorized tenancy deposit scheme, landlords and letting agents are needed to register a tenant deposit. A tenancy deposit scheme protects the tenant’s cash and at the end of the tenancy can assist resolve any conflicts.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If you allow the sharing of non-family group occupants, you will need to comply with Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) regulations.

Income Tax

All landlords, whether they live in the UK or are based abroad, may be responsible to pay tax on their rental revenue. You can find additional data on the website of Inland Revenue:

The How to Rent Guide – the checklist for renting in England (for England only)

A new tenant should always obtain a Local Government Department and Communities How to Rent Guide from their letting’s agent at the beginning of their tenancy, providing practical guidance on what to do before and during a letter.

Right to Rent checks

The Right to Rent scheme was rolled out across England in February 2016, which helps ensure that individuals renting property in the UK have a legal right to be here. If you carry out your own checks, you must now ensure that you receive an acceptable evidence of residence or risk a fine. If we are not handling tenant checks for you at the moment, we would be very pleased to discuss how we can assist you with this.

The How to Rent Guide – the checklist for renting in England (for England only)

Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarms (for England only):

Regulation has been implemented requiring all landlords – with England properties – to have at least one smoke alarm on each floor of their properties, even where there is only one toilet. And if any space has a solid fuel burning appliance, such as a wood burning oven, a coal fire, an open fire place, or where biomass is used as fuel, there must be a carbon monoxide alarm.

The alarms must be checked correctly on the first day of any new tenancy, but then it is the tenant’s responsibility to check the alarms regularly- The Community and Local Government Department recommends once a month and report it as a maintenance problem if it does not work. There is more to read on the regulations section of our smoke alarms.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations

All landlords in their properties (only in England) must provide installed and working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

At least one smoke alarm on each floor-even where there is only one bathroom.

A carbon monoxide alarm in any space that contains a strong fuel burning equipment (e.g. wood burning oven, coal fire, open fire, or where biomass is used as fuel).

What this means for you?

You must check that on the FIRST Day of the tenancy, the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms are working.

You will need to inform your tenants that it is their responsibility to check on a continuing basis that the alarms are in working order. Although this is not enforceable, the Community and Local Government Department recommends that this be done on a monthly basis.

Who will check that your properties comply?

Local authorities will be responsible for inspecting properties to guarantee that they comply with the regulation and, if they have reasonable grounds to think that there is a breach of the regulation, a remedial notice will be issued and details of what action the landlord requires.

What if you don’t comply with this regulation?

Failure to install alarms for smoke and carbon monoxide could result in you facing sanctions and a penalty of up to £ 5,000 – as well as risking your tenants ‘ health and safety.

Further Information

You can also access the official Q&A Booklet of the Department of Communities and Local Government for more information on the 2015 Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations.