Selling a property can be an expensive venture. With the high costs associated with conveyancing fees, agent fees and removal companies it is not wonder why selling your home can be a daunting prospect. That’s why we created this short guide with top tips on how to save money when moving home.
EPC cost: Approximately £60 – £120
An Energy Performance Certificate is valid for 10 years and is needed as part of a property sale. An EPC is used to measure the energy efficiency and the environmental impact for a property. During an EPC assessment the property is assessed by a Domestic Energy Assessor and is given a rating from A (best rating) to G (worst possible outcome). If you do not have a valid EPC you could incur a £200 fine.
Conveyancing Fees (selling only)
What are conveyancing fees? To sum it up best your solicitor or conveyancer will look after all the legal aspects of your property sale. They will handle issues such as obtaining the title deeds to handling all the enquires that have been made by the buyers’ solicitors. In addition, they will prepare a draft contract and agree a completion date for the property purchase to removes the hassle of selling a property.
1) Local isn’t always the best if you live in London. You may be able to save a lot of money by looking beyond the local area when looking for a solicitor or conveyancer.
2) Negotiate a fixed fee with your solicitor. This is essential in preventing an hourly rate from spiralling out of control.
3) Always go for a service that offers a no sale, no fee guarantees to ensure that you are not liable for the solicitor fees should the sale not go through.
Household Moving Costs
Furniture removal costs:Roughly £600 – £2300
Moving day can be very stressful. Packing up all your possessions and furniture and transporting them to your new home can be a very costly endeavour.
1) If possible, you should try to do all of it yourself. Although it is very tempting to enlist professional removers to help make moving easier you may be able to do this yourself. At the very least if you are considering using a removal company you should always get quotes from a variety of different companies.
2) Donate any unwanted items to charity. Not only is this a nice gesture in helping the community, it will also help remove the cost of paying the council to dispose of any unwanted furnishings
3) Always try to time your moving date right. If timed correctly you can move all your possessions from your old home to your new one without incurring any extra fees for storing your items.
Estate Agent Fees
Your estate agent will charge you fees for marketing your property and finding you a buyer for your home. Photography, videos, printed brochures, floorplans, Rightmove and Zoopla listings all cost a lot of money. However, if done correctly this can majorly speed up the speed of sale of your home.